Friday, April 17, 2009

Thing One and Thing Two

I haven’t posted updates on the boys in a while, and both have been to the doctor recently, so here you go…

Thing One

Tyler had his 3 year check up with his new doctor (thanks for the recommendation Manda!). I wasn’t sure how this appointment would go since last year he screamed and cried like the nurse was stabbing him with knives when all she was doing was measuring his head! This year was the complete opposite, he willingly got on the scale to be weighed, sat still while they measured his head and took his temperature, and had no problem laying down to be measured. He weighs 34 lbs and is 38 inches tall, which puts him in the 75th percentile for his age. The doctor was very impressed that Tyler has only been to the doctor for well child check ups, and said he looks perfectly healthy!


He has discovered he likes suckers!

Here are some fun facts about Tyler:

- He takes everything you say literally. For example, the other night we were finishing up dinner and I told Matt I was going to go jump in the shower. Tyler immediately pipes up and informs me that I can’t jump in the shower because I will bonk my head and get hurt.

- He is very much into pretend play now. One day he put one of my hats on and for the rest of the day he was mommy and I was Tyler. He even put me down for a nap, saying exactly what I say to him! It was so cute! Another time we were all a different Mickey Mouse character (Tyler was Mickey, I was Minnie, Matt was Goofy and Riley was Donald) and Tyler wouldn’t respond if you asked him something unless you called him Mickey! Most recently we were a bug family. I had to call him Tyler bug and he would call me mommy bug. Never a dull moment in our house!

- He has memorized quite a few of his books and loves to sit and read them out loud. Once he decided I needed to be read to as I was going to the bathroom!

- Not only can he memorize books, he’s pretty good at memorizing songs as well. He knows most of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, and parts of Rock Star (Pink) and Beat It (Michael Jackson). After witnessing how easily he learns songs I have vowed to only play church music while the boys are in the car. I would love it if he spontaneously sang the words to a hymn one day!

- His newest obsession is pretending to play the guitar.

- His two favorite movies lately are Cars and Wall-e.

- He has given Riley the nickname ‘Little buddy’.

He built this 'fort' to watch TV in!

Out of the mouth of Tyler:

- Pointing to my chest, “This is Riley’s milk, and this one is his water!”

- I made chicken curry for the first time and Tyler wasn’t a fan. After his first bite he hands me his cup and says, “I need more drink to get the yuck off my tongue.”

Thing Two




Riley went to the doctor last week for another weight check and he had gained almost 2 pounds in a month! He is now up to 16 lbs 13 oz, which is still small for his age but the doctor is happy that he is steadily gaining weight. We no longer have to go in each month to get his weight checked, although we will be back next month for his 9 month check up!



Here is what Riley is up to now that he’s 8 ½ months old:

- He is now eating like a pro (finally!). So far his diet includes baby cereal, green beans, carrots, bread (any kind), Cheerios, Gerber puffs, and mashed potatoes. He now thinks that any time we are eating he should be too! I usually give him bites of my dinner and once I do he is not happy with plain old bread! He really likes split pea soup and spaghetti sauce.

He loves his food now!


- He reaches to be picked up now.

- He cruises around the house like he owns the place! When he sees something he wants he can really move!




- He can pull himself up to a standing position. He can also climb onto some things, like the dishwasher door!



- He has begun the separation anxiety phase. This one is new for me since Tyler completely skipped it. If he can see me I either have to be holding him or close enough that he can touch me (and if I move out of that range he will immediately crawl over to me). Gone are the days when I can put him on the floor to play with Tyler while I make lunch. He starts sobbing like I’ve just abandoned him and crawls into the kitchen after me. Yes he’s gotten good enough at crawling that he can crawl and cry hysterically at the same time! He’ll crawl up to me, then use my legs to pull himself up, and stand there crying until I pick him up. I wonder how long this fun stage will last?

- He absolutely adores his big brother!

- No teeth yet, but his gums were bleeding a little today so I think one is coming!

Tyler was so excited that Riley was dressed like Tigger!



5 comments:

Vanessa said...

they are the cutest, I am so glad they are both doing well. We will see you guys in about 3 weeks. YAY

Rob, Brooke, Caleb, Sophie and Jake said...

Ha Ha I love what Tyler said about the milk and water!!

Blair's said...

Your kids are too cute. It reminds me that I should take Khy to see a doctor since its been about a year now.

manda carol said...

So cute! Sorry I haven't gotten back to you. For not doing anything we've been kind of busy. I know you're probably out of town. Hopefully we'll get together soon. I can't wait to get the boys together again!

Anonymous said...

Holy cow. I am flipping out at how cute the boys are (their parents aren't bad either;). Miss you guys lots and hope you are super happy!

PS-Can you believe our boys are three?!