Sunday, April 5, 2009

Not a mom?

I heard the most absurd thing on TV tonight. A female executive from the ALL detergent company was being asked about the company's target audience. The conversation went like this:

"Who would you say your target audience is?"

Executive: "Women, 25 and older."

"Are they mostly moms?"

Executive: "No, not moms. Women with children. These women are more intellectual."


Excuse me?!? I take offense to the insinuation that referring to myself as a mom makes me less intellectual. I’m a lot of things; I’m a daughter of God, a college graduate, a wife, a friend, a sister. Right now though, my most important role is a mother. When I look at my two boys I am in awe that the Lord has entrusted them to me. What a responsibility! What an honor! The world would have us believe that the role of a mother is not important, or something worth aspiring to. I take comfort in knowing that our Heavenly Father doesn’t feel that way at all. We mothers are doing the greatest work there is to be done in this world. We are raising the next generation.

I am not a 'woman with children'. I am a MOM, and I'm proud of it!

7 comments:

Hill said...

That's great that you posted this. When I heard that last night I was upset too. I 'm glad that you thought the same thing. I'm also proud to call myself a mom!

Vanessa said...

you go girl! I did not hear that. But that was very dumb of her to say. She probably lost all of her clients right about now. I never buy ALL because I am a "woman with children" who care about Cleaners that I use, and ALL never impressed me that much anyways. SO I SAY lets stop using "intelectual people" detergent. What an ignorant person. Now I am mad and I did not even see the thing. AHHH

Brooke said...

that's crazy. I'm sure in her mind, she thought she was being complimentary by stating that the users of her product are intellectual. What she didn't realize is that the title of "Mom" is the most honorable title there is! D, you're a great mom! I LOVE following your blog and seeing your cute, happy little family grow!

manda carol said...

I didn't hear this but my first thought is the same as yours. I'm proud to be a mom.

Robert and Lisa said...

Even though I'm not a mom yet.....AMEN! :)

Teresa said...

AMEN!!! I cannot believe she said that!! I completely agree with your response!! Motherhood is a divine calling of God and we are entrusted to care for his children . . . how dare she degrade motherhood!!

Teresa said...

So I was all fired up about that and I emailed 'all. This is what they had to say in response:

Hello:

Thank you for writing.

All has a proud 50-year history of serving its consumers and is
a trusted name in quality and affordable laundry detergent.

We do not feel the videos produced on Celebrity Apprentice
accurately reflect our values or brand. We did not have the
ability to prevent the videos from being aired on the show.

Sun Products is a family company, and does not condone the
airing of inappropriate content over any medium.

Kind regards,
Your friends at 'all