Tuesday, August 10, 2010

What is Riley like now that he's two?

Turning two means another trip to the doctor. Riley didn't mind the check-up until it was time for shots. Luckily he only had to get one. He must have sensed what was coming because he started fighting to get off my lap as soon as the nurse got the alcohol wipe out. He is one strong kid! I had to hold him down and the nurse had to hold his leg to keep him still enough to administer the shot. After a few minutes of hysterical crying he finally decided he wasn't dying anymore! He now has a year to forget the experience before he has to go back! His stats from this appointment: 24 1/2 lbs. 31 in. tall, and a clean bill of health! But what really makes Riley, Riley? Well...
- Two words that perfectly describe him: stubborn and independent. His Granny will tell you he gets it from me! He insists on doing quite a few things on his own - buckles (carseat, stroller, high chair, shopping carts), going up and down the stairs, eating (until he gets tired of doing it himself, then he hands us his fork or spoon), 'riding' his bike (he will not let us teach him how to push the pedals, he insists on pushing the bike with his feet) and cleaning his teeth (he loses this battle each night and ends up crying while we clean his teeth.).
- He is a man of few words, very few words! He says mama, dada, hi, bye and no. No is actually his favorite word, it's his answer for everything! Even when he means yes, he still says no. I think his lack of a vocabulary is the result of two things: 1. He has an older brother who talks for him, and Riley is completely happy with the arrangement. If anyone asks Riley a question and Tyler is within ear shot he will immediately answer it. Then Riley looks at the question asker with a look that says, "There you go, that's the answer." 2. Personality. Riley is very much an observer. At the park his favorite thing to do is swing while he watches the other kids run around. In a large group setting he'll find a toy to hold then sit and watch what everyone else is doing. I'm not worried about it because I know he understands what we say to him and he follows directions very well. I don't think he feels the need to talk yet. Once he decides he wants to talk I'm sure he just will.
-He is good as gold when I trim his finger nails, but if I even try to touch his toes or feet he freaks out. The only time your allowed to touch his feet is when you put his shoes on, otherwise they are off limits.
- He loves to color and he actually holds crayons the right way.
- He is still in love with the tag on his blanket. In fact I have to sew the tag back on one of them because it's about to fall off! He will not go to sleep until you hand him the tag.
- He is a BIG eater. No matter how big his breakfast is, 30 minutes later he'll be back in the kitchen looking for a snack. He hasn't met a fruit he doesn't like.
- He idiolizes Tyler! If Tyler is doing something he has to do the same. This can cause some frustration, especially when he's not physically big enough to what Tyler is doing.
- He has two smiles: 1. His happy, "I'm the cutest boy you've ever seen." 2. His mischevious, "I know what I'm about to do/currently doing I shouldn't so I'll distract you with my cute smile."

"What are you doing Tyler?"


"Hi mom!"


"I know this is how Tyler does it."





No comments: