Thursday, August 19, 2010

Tyler's first dentist appointment!

I waited until Tyler was a little older to take him to the dentist for the first time because all my friends who took their kids at 3 had bad experiences. I still wasn't sure how the appointment would go, so I crossed my fingers and said a little prayer before we left. I could tell Tyler was nervous as we left the house because he was silent (which almost never happens these days). I asked him if he was scared and he said yes. His biggest concern? That the dentist's toothbrush would be too big for his mouth. He was still apprehensive when they called his name and we were walking back to the room. The dental assistant was an older lady and she was great with Tyler. She showed him how the chair moved before having him climb into it and then she showed him all the instruments the dentist would be using and let him touch them while she explained what they were for. He was so excited to see how small the toothbrush head was! By the time the dentist came in Tyler was much more relaxed. I was still a little nervous about how the exam would go, but Tyler proved I had nothing to worry about. He let the dentist count his teeth and thoroughly check out the inside of his mouth. Then she told him she was going to clean his teeth. He lifted his head up and asked, "Do you have a sink for me to spit into?" He laid back down when she reminded him what the suction tube was for (which they named Mr. Thirsty). He laid perfectly still and kept his mouth open through the entire cleaning. No tears, no complaints. As soon as he could talk again he couldn't wait to tell the dentist how Mr. Thirsty had tickled the inside of his mouth. He thought it was so funny! The dentist gave him high praise for how good he was. He even sat through the floride treatment like it was nothing. I know we aren't suppose to be prideful, but I have to admit I was one proud mama by the end of his appointment! He loved the prize box and spent a good five minutes checking out it's contents before settling on a monster truck. (The prizes you get at the dentist have drastically improved since I was a kid!) He showed me a princess puzzle that he was picking for his baby sister and then told me he needed to find something for Riley. He was pretty dissapointed when I told him he could only take one thing, but I was proud of him for thinking of his siblings. Unfortunately in our rush to leave the house on time I forgot to grab my camera, so I have no pictures. I'll have to remember it next time! Instead I've included a picture of Tyler's first tattoo!








No comments: