Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Riley's belly button.

Riley has always had an outie, as you can see:








Then by mid-September it morphed into this:





It's like his outie is now filled with air. You can push it down and it looks normal again (normal meaning like it did in the first set of pictures) until he moves, then it expands again. Tyler doesn't have an outie, so this is new territory for me. Has anyone else experienced this with their kids, or even seen anything like this before? It doesn't seem to hurt him, even when you push on it. His next doctor appointment isn't until November 3, so I have to wait until then to see what the doctor thinks. I was just curious to see if any other moms knew before then! Matt's worried that it's going to look like this permanently! It would definitetly make him unique!

3 comments:

manda carol said...

My friend's niece has this exact thing. I thought I had told you. Anyway, her doctor told her that once their stomach muscles get stronger (around the time they start walking) the air won't get pushed up in the belly button and it will go back to normal. Hope this helps.
On a side note lets do something later this week? Give me a call.

Lechelle said...

D, you have a freak child. I am sorry. Maybe you can sell him to the circus? At least if it's a tumor it should be easy to remove (I hope you find teeth and hair in it).

j/k. Glad Manda Carol has heard of it.

Perry Family said...

Diane,
That is called an Umbilical hernia. It happens from time to time and nothing to really be concerned about (unless it doesn't heal on its own). They usually heal by the time they're 1 or so. Otherwise they do a simple surgical procedure to repair it. Good luck, and don't worry!