Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Present and cake.

Riley had a fun birthday, well at least he seemed to. I'm pretty sure he had no clue what all the fuss was about, but he smiled a lot so I'll take that as enjoying his birthday! His day started by being serenaded by his Granny as soon as he woke up. After breakfast he was off for his one year photo shoot. Riley is usually the smiliest baby I have ever met, but put him in an unfamiliar setting where the only thing you want him to do is smile and what does he do? He sits there with a mixed look of confusion and fear on his face. Not so good for pictures. Luckily after about 10 minutes he got use to it and was back to his smiley self. We got some great pictures! The biggest hit of the day were the balloons we got him. He was fascinated by them! Jokingly I bonked him on the head with one and he thought it was hilarious. He kept pointing to the balloons and squawking at me to do it again. Present opening was much more exciting for Tyler than it was for Riley! Riley enjoyed tearing the paper off, but then had no interest in the actual present! He liked chewing on the wrapping paper though! For their first couple of birthdays I like to give the boys one present for every year old they are (for obvious reasons this tradition will not go past 4). Since it doesn't take long to open one present we had plenty of time for cake. And boy did we need it! Once we put the cake in front of him he got a little bit of icing on his finger and then just sat there. He'd stare at his finger then look around, then stare at his finger some more, then look at us. This went on for about 5 minutes before he attempted to put his finger in his mouth. He smeared most of the icing on his chin, but he must have gotten a taste of the icing because he was quicker to put his finger in his mouth the second time. For the first 20 minutes he was eating the icing one finger tip at a time and he managed to stay pretty clean. I was starting to think I wasn't going to get the messy cake pictures I really wanted. Then he discovered he could pick up the plate the cake was sitting on and the mess began! My friend Lindsey (who is the best cake maker I know) made two cakes, one for everyone to enjoy and a little one just for the birthday boy. When Tyler saw the two cakes he pointed to the little one and asked if it was for Riley, to which I said yes. Then his face lit up and his eyes got big when he pointed to the bigger cake and said, "And that one is for me!" Without further ado here are the pictures...




He wasn't a big fan of the hat!





Riley got to invite one friend over, so he picked Shilo (and her parents got to tag along too)!


"I'm suppose to do what with this?"


"I guess I'll have another taste."


"This stuff is pretty good!"



"Do I have to eat the whole thing?"




Finally a smile!




We literally took him out back and hosed him off after he was done!


4 comments:

Lechelle said...

Those hosing off pics crack me up!

The Domingue family said...

Aww I forgot it was his brithday. Happy birthday Riley. I hope he had fun

Vanessa said...

Happy Birthday Riley... I can't believe a whole year has gone by.... Where is time going?

Robert and Lisa said...

What a great sequence of pictures. They are hilarious. I'm guessing most of the cakes ended up on the floor though right?!?