Thursday, June 11, 2009

Four wonderful years!

Matt and I were married 4 years ago today! Allow me to reminisce...

We met at institute in Miami. Matt was there working construction with his dad, and I was working as a trainer at the Miami Seaquarium. My roommate, Michelle, and I moved to Miami around the same time, so we were both new to the institute class. I noticed Matt right away and whispered to Michelle, "He's either 19 or has a girlfriend." Luckily I was wrong on both accounts! We didn't start dating right away, in fact we were just friends for about 3 months. This was mostly because Matt was masterfully skilled at pretending he didn't like me! I'll give you a couple of examples: 1. He was class president, so he conducted the beginning of each class. On more than one occasion there would be an open seat next to me, and Matt would usually sit on the other side of the room. 2. One day after class Matt asked if I was going to the YSA dance the next day. I was but I needed directions since neither Michelle or I were familiar with the area. When he asked me to wait while he got something to write on I thought for sure he was going to use it as an excuse to give me his number. Instead he hands me a piece of paper and says, "Here is Mavy's number, she can give you directions." Needless to say, I was convinced he only liked me as a friend so I never pursued him. I did like him though and I remember the night he brought a girl to class. I have to admit I was jealous when I thought he was dating someone, and I was pretty happy after class when he introduced me to his sister!

I never would have guessed that Matt was telling his friends back home about a new girl in his institute class that he really liked! Matt's big dilemma? He was writing to a missionary and didn't know how to tell me without ruining his chances at dating me. Coincidentally I was also writing to a missionary (we had never dated, but I had a HUGE crush on him). Matt was also trying to figure out how to spend some one on one time with me without the pretence of a date. My roommate took care of that problem when she asked him to help her get a couch from some other friends of ours. Michelle ended up getting sick the day they were suppose to get the couch, so I went with Matt instead. We talked until 2:00 am that night and would have talked longer but I had to be at work at 7:00! The majority of our conversation was about our missionaries! Matt told me all about his, and I vented about how mine was already home but hadn't called or emailed me. After Matt left that night I was certain we would never date. I mean I had just told him how much I liked another guy! I was torn, I still really liked my missionary but I was also developing quite a crush on Matt! The first time my missionary called I was at a pool party and spent most of the night flirting with Matt. My missionary was quickly forgotten the more time I spent with Matt. We offically started dating in early November and 3 months later on February 1 Matt proposed! After a four month engagement we were married in the Bountiful Temple. It was a perfect day!

It's been a great 4 years! Happy anniversary honey! I love you!


From our dating days!

Our first kiss was in a bowling alley!
One of the pictures from our wedding announcement.








7 comments:

Hill said...

Happy Anniversary!

Vanessa said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY. I am glad you guys finally came to your sences and got married We are very happy to know you. Have a great day.

Lechelle said...

Oh missionary Spencer. That was funny and sad. So glad it didn't work out. You and Matt are much better for each other.

And a guy acting not interested in D? I don't believe it. Didn't you flash him a little dolphin? haha.

I love you D! Happy Anniversary!!!

The Schmitt Family said...

Happy Anniversary! 4 years... it doesn't seem like it's been that long. I'm so glad you ditched Spencer! You and Matt are a perfect match. I'm just a little surprised you weren't more forward. :O) May you have many more wonderful years!

Teresa said...

Happy anniversary! That was fun to read your story!! :)

Rob, Brooke, Caleb, Sophie and Jake said...

Happy Anniversary!! Ha ha I love the story of how you guys met! that's so funny!

MACMAN said...

Happy Anniversary!! I think I saw you at the Miami because I did the the swim with the dolphins program there. I am sure I saw you there.

Have a great Marriage!!
God Bless,
John