Thursday, December 15, 2011

Tough Mudder

Back in June I got an invitation on facebook to join a group that was forming to run a race called Tough Mudder. I use to love playing in the mud as a kid and I've always been pretty athletic, so it didn't take me long to decide to sign up. I never thought Matt would agree to sign up with me, but to my utter shock he did! Matt hates to run. He is the only person I know who was on the track team all 4 years in high school and never ran in a single race (he was a field events kind of guy). So when he said yes to running a 12 mile obstacle course with me I was pleasantly surprised. That's right I said a 12 mile obstacle course that included wading through freezing cold water, scaling 12 foot high walls, climbing over more hay bails than I could count, jumping off a 15 foot high platform, getting shocked by 10,000 volts and running, wading and crawling through tons of mud. There were 28 obstacles throughout the course. By the time we crossed the finish line I was dirty, bruised, and blistered on both feet, but the sense of accomplishment I felt was overwhelming. I love that Matt and I did this together! Call us crazy, but we're already planning on doing it again next year!







This was the second obstacle called the Chernobyl Jacuzzi. They dumped 100 bags of ice in every 30 minutes, yeah it was cold! The board in the middle forced you to go all the way under.

That's me in the black getting out!

Matt and I are next to the tall guy in the orange shirt. We just got done swimming under those black barrels behind us.







We got to run through these tires...

...and climb up and over this cargo net...

...and across this cargo net...

...and pull ourselves across this rope...

...and crawl under this net through the mud...

...and crawl under this barb wire.

Did I mention there was some mud?

Matt made it all the way across the monkey bars, I didn't!









This obstacle showed up twice on the course.

I did make it all the way across the wobbly balance beam!



Electro shock therapy was the last obstacle of the race. See those yellow wires? They were all live!



The obstacle I was most proud to get through was called Mount Everest, copy and paste the following to see pictures! http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150592404079848.479452.793659847&type=1

No comments: