Sunday, February 8, 2009

Riley's 6 month check up.

Riley had his 6 month check up on Friday and it wasn't as routine as I had expected. It turns out my chuncky monkey isn't quite as chunky as I thought. In 2 months he only gained 2 ounces and grew less than 3/4 of an inch. The good news is his head growth is normal and developmentally he's right on track. The pediatrician said everything looked fine when he examined Riley, so he ordered some blood work and requested a urine sample to try and figure out why he's not growing. He wants me to start pumping so I can keep track of how much Riley is eating each feeding. Riley had to get 3 shots to finish up his visit and he was one brave boy! He whimpered a little after the second shot, but he never cried. He was even braver getting his blood drawn. I thought they would prick his heal like they did when he was a newborn, but no, they got it from his arm just like they do with adults. Riley was a champ and laid still the whole time just staring at the nurses. He didn’t cry at all! He even got his arm wrapped afterwards.

His little arm wrap.

My brave boy all bandaged up!

This is what his arm looked like after the wrap came off.

How do you get a urine sample from a 6 month old? This fun little contraption! It's officially called a pediatric urine collector, but really it's just a plastic bag with a hole in it that I had to stick on Riley until he peed. Then I got to pour the pee into the cup the nurse gave me. Fun for mommy!


4 comments:

The Domingue family said...

awww poor baby. I hope everything is ok.

Rob, Brooke, Caleb, Sophie and Jake said...

Okay, you answered my question with your last picture! When I was reading this I was like, huh, I wonder how they get a baby to give them a urine sample? It's not like they can be like, okay Riley, please pee in the cup now! But now I get it!!

manda carol said...

Have you got any of the test results back?

The Morgan Family! said...

wow thats crazy.I was wondering the same thing on how to get him to pee!!